Thursday, May 24, 2007

Doctors out to help or make money?

I work for my son's Pediatrician's office, they all know Zach's story and they all know how much we live at any given Dr's office. As far as Zach peds Dr, I really do like her and I do know that she has a big heart when it comes to Zach. She actually was the first Dr that agreed with me that something was wrong with Zach. All the specialist told me to come back in 6mos that he was fine, 6 mos later my son was barley able to walk and had lost a bunch of words. (yeah he was fine)

A few weeks ago she (his ped) came up to my desk and told me that a certain Dr (who happens to be the owner of the clinic) went through Zach's chart and wanted Zach's ped to go talk to us about Zach not getting his yearly physical and that he has a lot of vaccinations to get. I literally just looked at her and said "do you know how much we are at a Dr office, his physical is the farthest thing from my mind, I know that Zach is delayed and him not knowing his ABC's does not need to be retold to me. We get a physical ever time we are at a Dr's office, and as far as his vaccinations we are on IVIG and it's not necessary because that's all in the IVIG. " She agreed with me and I thought that really was going to be the end of story. A little while later she reappeared at my desk and said this Dr that went through the chart really wanted me to make sure all these vaccinations are in the IVIG protection and that I need to double check with the Dr? I told her I would, but was irritated.

Fast forward a week and I am in a meeting about new protocols that if a kid is on this particular insurance that we need to fill out this certain sheet, because this insurance is paying bonuses to the clinic for getting yearly physicals and all the vaccinations done. Well you guessed it, Zach happens to have this insurance. I was fuming. It really was a money issue.

It is so funny because after Zach's Dr came up to me, I was telling a friend/coworker about it and she being the pessimist said he is so after more money. I being the optimist said noway they were just concerned. Now I know it was about the money. The only satisfaction I'm getting is knowing that he won't be getting any bonuses on our account. There is noway in heck I will be bringing Zach in for a physical. He doesn't need them, and he certainly doesn't need to help line a pocket book.

My friend and I had a discussion about this and we think that Dr's should practice and stay out of the money end of it, because it really is a conflict of interest. Maybe because I work in the medical field and have insider information, but it is a greedy business. Luckily for Zach we have found some really good and genuine specialists. So I know it's not all corrupt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.